Soups are such great dinner options, especially as the evenings get colder and longer. The temptation to lie in bed with a big bowl of pasta and a hot chocolate is so tempting..
Here is a hearty soup, with chickpeas and parmesan. It has the perfect combination of everything you would want in a mid-week dinner.
Large Nob of Butter
3 Garlic Cloves
3 Large Leeks, roughly chopped
1 Cup Chickpeas soaked overnight OR a can of chickpeas
A Chicken or Vegetable Stock Cube/ or Stock (even better)
100g Grated Parmesan/ Grana Padano
Wholemeal bread slices
Salt and Whole Pepper
- Sweat the onions and 2 of the garlic cloves in the butter. Add the chopped leeks and allow to cook for five minutes. Add a pint of water and bring to the boil. Leave to simmer for 20 minutes or so, until the leeks are tender.
- Add the stock and use a hand held blender to blend the leeks. You can also use any other food processor with a blending option.
- In a separate large pan, fry the last garlic clove and the chickpeas. Using the bottom of a rolling pin or a potato crusher, crush the chickpeas whilst allowing them to cook in the garlic. Do not crush the chickpeas too much.
- Add the blended leeks to the crushed chickpeas and add water if it is too thick. Season well with salt and pepper, remember to taste.
- Generously spray olive oil, salt and pepper on the wholemeal bread and put in the oven to make your crostini.
- If not already grated, grate your parmesan or grana padano.
- Serve the Leek and Chickpea chowder in large bowls and put a tablespoon of Crème Fraiche or Greek Yoghurt/ Fromage Blanc in the middle as well as the grated cheese around. Crush more black pepper on the crostini and serve immediately.